Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ackerdijksche Plassen


I Have been involved in a road accident that has left my left hand broken and withered.

I have only recently managed to visit my local spot rather than venturing further afield. Recent trips have however provided me with interesting sightings.
There are at least eght pairs f breeding AVOCETS, many of the more commoner waders also breeding(BLACKTAILED GODWIT, OYSTERCATCHER, GREEN AND REDSHANK), etc SEDGE WARBLERS in good numbers with a few NIGHTINGALES and GRASSHOPPER WARBLERS dotted around. A pair of BLUETHROATS were found yesterday as were a pair of HOBBYS displaying and hunting in the eary evening. A rather tatty female MARSH HARRIER drifted east over head, however the highlight recetly was yesterday when i disturbed a grounded female GOSHAWK, the bird flew away and was relocated five minutes later causing a stir in the CORMORANT colony, the bird circled and gained height quickly.

I'm seeing a kingfisher reularly, around half eoght every evening it flies over the studio calling as it goes. Also i have been hearing and seeing CUCKOOS at both the patch and here at the studio